The Capitol

The Capitol

115 Swanston Street
Melbourne, Victoria, 3000
Phone:93205000

An extraordinary cinema, with ceilings indirectly lit in four colours, The Capitol (formerly the Capitol Theatre) was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in ornate Chicago-gothic style. 

The cinema opened in 1924, and the dramatic lighting was used in conjunction with the orchestral scores during the early silent film era. It added drama for the filmgoer, and remains a spectacular sight today.